About Me

My photo
It's All About the Baking came about because I want to share my Gluten-free baking. I've developed recipes and tricks over the past ten years so I could enjoy old favorites that tasted, well, just like the old favorites! Hundreds of experiments and tastings (including and especially friends who can eat gluten) later, I'm ready to share!

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Peach Muffins, or The Most Delicious Peach Muffins Ever

Right out of the oven!
I wish that I could claim divine inspiration for these muffins, but inspiration came from Smitten Kitchen's post for Perfect Blueberry Muffins. With a few changes, these became The Most Delicious Peach Muffins. Ever. (Ask the co-diner if you doubt.)
Peaches are in season here in Michigan as September begins, and blueberries are not. I had some peaches reaching their peak of ripeness on my kitchen counter and had been dreaming of eating a sweet treat with a cup of tea. Within and hour we were happily enjoying both.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees; grease or use paper muffin liners for ten muffins.

Dice and set aside two medium peaches or about 1 cup
Lovely ripe, diced, peaches

Sift or stir together:
1 1/2 cups GF flour or flour mix*
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanathan or guar gum*

Peachy, creamy batter
Cream together with an electric mixer:
5 TB softened (not melted) butter
3/4 cup sugar
Add and beat in:
1 egg
3/4 cup yogurt (full fat preferred) or sour cream
3 TB half and half or milk

Stir the diced peaches into the dry ingredients, then fold in the wet ingredients scraping bottom and sides of bowl. The batter should be quite thick at this point. (This is where I let mine rest for 15 minutes or so which allows for the GF flour to absorb the moisture and will produce a better rise.) But you don't have to wait. 

Divide the dough/batter among the ten muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, checking at the 25 minute mark.   

Cool slightly before eating. If there are any muffins left, slip them into a zipper bag or air-tight container and refrigerate. The moisture from the fresh fruit could cause the muffins to ferment or even grow mold. These are good ingredients; you don't want them to go to waste.

*Notes:
-My favorite flour mix is the one I put together with the recipe from America's Test Kitchen Gluten-free Cookbook.
-My rice flour of choice is from Anson Mills, which I buy online. You can't go wrong with any of their products. All of there products that are naturally gluten free, are milled or processed separately.
-Guar or xanthan gum: if you don't have either of these, just omit. Your muffin wil be more delecate but will be as delicious. You may use a tablespoonof soaked flax seen instead, or a tablespoon of psyllium seed husk power.











No comments:

Post a Comment