About Me

My photo
It's All About the Baking came about because I want to share my Gluten-free baking. I've developed recipes and tricks over the past ten years so I could enjoy old favorites that tasted, well, just like the old favorites! Hundreds of experiments and tastings (including and especially friends who can eat gluten) later, I'm ready to share!

Friday, April 3, 2015

Mexican Chocolate Brownies

 
 I'm taking dessert to an Easter Sunday potluck. One co-diner prefers fruit desserts and another, chocolate. These brownies are for the chocolate lover. They have a hint of cinnamon and cayenne pepper, and just a little espresso powder to deepen the flavor. We'll eat them with home-made vanilla ice cream; does it get better than this?

please see notes at end

Melt together in top of a double boiler:
8 TB unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 tsp espresso powder dissolved in 1 TB boiling water

Whisk to combine above ingredients, cool until comfortable to the touch.
When cool, stir in:
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, beaten

Sift together:
Whisking eggs and sugar into cooled
chocolate mixture
2/3 cup your favorite GF flour (I just used sorghum flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
cayenne pepper, from a pinch to 1/8 tsp, or more if you're brave

1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped

Add the nuts to the dry ingredients. Stir the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture, combining thoroughly.
Toasting the pecans
Pour into a greased and floured (I dust with cocoa powder instead of flour) 8 inch square baking pan, smooth the top, and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Check sooner than that, don't over bake. Cool completely before serving. I know, this is hard, but they really are better when cool. And I've found that the flavor develops after a few hours. They'll be good tomorrow, too!

I added 1/2 cup of toasted, chopped pecans. Walnuts would be great but I was out. Best when eaten fresh, they won't last long anyway!
Cooling; patience!




notes:  You  may omit the cinnamon and cayenne if you wish and make a traditional brownie. Nuts are also optional. You may skip toasting the nuts but I like the subtle difference in flavor it makes.
If you want a non-GF version of these brownies, leave a comment and I'll post the instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment