About Me

My photo
It's All About the Baking came about because I want to share my Gluten-free baking. I've developed recipes and tricks over the past ten years so I could enjoy old favorites that tasted, well, just like the old favorites! Hundreds of experiments and tastings (including and especially friends who can eat gluten) later, I'm ready to share!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Brie and Jam Muffins


If you only ever make one recipe from my collection, this should be it. When I bit into this warm, decadent muffin, I knew it was a winner. Sweet and salty, flavors of both the jam and the cheese distinct, all I wanted was another. And another. Reviews from co-diners were positive. I'm keeping myself from baking another batch today because I'll just want to eat them. It's best to make a batch and share with friends, they're  delicious with a pot of Darjeeling tea. (And they reheat beautifully, too, 325 degree oven for ten minutes..)
If you want me to convert the recipe to wheat flour, leave a comment and I'll post the changes.

Sift or stir together and set aside:
1 3/4 cups sorghum flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, optional

Combine:
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c plain, whole-milk yogurt
1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
Brie in batter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Reserve:
Apricot jam
Cold brie cut into approximately 3/8 inch chunks. You'll need a dozen pieces, one for each muffin.

Make a well in the dry ingredients. Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, combining thoroughly, scraping down the bottom and sides of bowl. Cover the bowl with a plate and let rest for half an hour. This allows the flour to absorb the moisture and the muffins will rise better.
Jam and brie in batter

Stir the batter down. Fill ten muffin cups about 1/3 full, then push a chunk of brie into the each portion of batter. Spoon a scant teaspoon of jam on top of the cheese. Divide the rest of the batter between the cups to top the muffins, making sure to seal the cheese and jam as completely as possible. (Otherwise it will run out of the muffin.) Bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, mine were done at 23. Some of the filling will inevitably leak out; it's fine, the muffins will still be perfect.
Hot out of the oven, a bit of jam
has leaked and burned on the
pan. It's just fine!



No comments:

Post a Comment