About Me

My photo
It's All About the Baking came about because I want to share my Gluten-free baking. I've developed recipes and tricks over the past ten years so I could enjoy old favorites that tasted, well, just like the old favorites! Hundreds of experiments and tastings (including and especially friends who can eat gluten) later, I'm ready to share!

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, Take 2

When I made these fabulous cookies I knew I'd remake them after tweaking the recipe. These are flat, not thick and soft, cookies, They are chewy in the middle and crispy-chewy around the edges. Sometimes I like a cookie that's softer in the middle and thought that decreasing the butter was the solution. Turns out, this time, I was right. (There will soon be a post about learning from your/my mistakes.)

I eliminated one tablespoon of butter and got the result I was looking for. I don't think I'll experiment with this further, but if you like an even softer cookie, I'd cut two tablespoons from the original recipe. I'm offering a re-do of the the recipe with these changes already included.
ready for chillin'

I also left out the dried cherries and added toasted, chopped  walnuts. The walnuts are great even without toasting, but fabulous with toasting!
One for the oven

Ingredients:
15 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature (14 TB for softer cookie)
3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
3/4 cup cane sugar
2 extra large eggs warmed to room temp*
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 3/4 cup sorghum flour or your favorite gluten-free flour/mix
Chocolate chipper
1 teaspon baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp psyllium seed husk powder*

1 1/4 Cups rolled oats
Chipped Chocolate
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped*
3/4 cup toasted walnuts chopped*

Method:
Sift or whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.

Cream the butter and sugars together in a large bowl, just till blended. Add in the eggs and vanilla and combine thoroughly. Don't over beat as you don't want to incorporate too much air in the dough, especially with gluten-free flour.

Lovely ingredients
Thoroughly mix in the sifted dry ingredients, scraping bottom and sides of the bowl; a stand mixer with a paddle makes is easiest, but you an use a wooden spoon. Add the oats, chips, and cherries. If you're not already mixing by hand you may need to switch to incorporate these three ingredients. (I love my Kitchen Aid six-quart mixer because it will handle this!)

Tightly cover the dough, chill at least two hours and preferably over night to allow the flour and oats to absorb the moist ingredients. If you skip this rest, the cookies will spread out and burn around the edges while remaining raw in the center. I know because I tried it.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, drop dough by spoon fulls* onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat mat. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cookies are nicely browned on the edges and the centers are set.

Cool on wire racks, store left-overs in a tightly covered container.
Perfect!


*Notes
-I used eggs from my local farmer's market, one tiny one and one jumbo one!
Warm chocolate goodness
-If you want to omit the psyllium husk powder, increase xanthan gum to 1 3/4 tsp.
-A 1 3/4 inch cookie scoop is too big. Either use a smaller scoop or just use a generous teaspoon full.
-While you can sub in a bag of chocolate chips, you can see from the photos the large pockets of chocolate you get from chopping your own. I start the chopping process with the Chocolate Chipper (afailable at King Arthur, online) and finish the process with a large chef's knife.
Melted chocolate chunk!


No comments:

Post a Comment